Nest Labs, Inc. introduces a new Nest Cam Outdoor with additional features to the Nest Aware service, and a brand new way to interact with the entire range of Nest products through the Nest app today. Nest is completely reimagining the camera experience with new hardware, a redesigned app, and more intelligent alerts. Most Nest Cam Indoor customers use it primarily for home security, and 30% of them point their cameras outside. Customers have been asking for an outdoor-facing camera and Nest Cam Outdoor is designed to satisfy the demand.
Nest Cam Outdoor combines easy installation with true 24/7 security inside and out. Nest Cam Indoor, Nest Cam Outdoor and Dropcam customers with a Nest Aware subscription will benefit from 24/7 continuous recording, cloud storage and intelligent alerts. Beginning in September, subscribers will start receiving a new intelligent alert called person alerts, in addition to existing methods of motion and sound detection.
Nest Cam uses the power of the cloud and world class vision algorithms to provide more accurate alerts. With person alerts, Nest will notify customers with a specific alert when it detects a person, versus a dog or a car, for example, highlighting moments that matter.
“The future is about intelligent alerts. Customers want to know when something is happening that genuinely deserves their attention. Person alerts are the first of many innovations that will make Nest Cam a more helpful partner in securing the home,” said Maxime Veron, director of hardware product marketing, Nest.
- Nest Cam Outdoor – With a brand new, completely weatherproof industrial design created for permanent outdoor use, Nest Cam Outdoor extends security outside the home. Customers can keep an eye on their homes 24/7 with full high-definition (1080p) video quality anytime, anywhere and in any weather. Customers also get all the great features Nest Cam Indoor is known for, including activity alerts and Talk and Listen.
- Person alerts – Subscribers to the Nest Aware service will receive person alerts, allowing Nest Cam to distinguish between a person and another activity and let you know when someone comes into view. Person alerts are the first of a new generation of intelligent alerts from Nest that leverage Google's expertise in machine learning and powerful algorithms to deliver deeper insights to customers about what’s happening at home. Nest Aware features including person alerts are available on all Nest Cam and Dropcam cameras.
- New Nest app – The redesigned Nest app delivers new software features and makes existing Nest products even better, including earlier versions of Nest Cam. With the introduction of Spaces, the Nest app delivers a brand new user interface that groups Nest products by room, across multiple platforms, making it easier to access and control Nest products. Another notable update in the new Nest app is that it now supports Apple Watch, as well as Android Wear which was released earlier this year, so customers can control the temperature of their Nest Learning Thermostat from their wrist.
Nest Cam Outdoor is available now for pre-order in the U.S. and Canada at nest.com, bestbuy.com, and bestbuy.ca, and will be on shelves this fall. Multi-packs will be available later this year. Nest Cam Outdoor will also be available in the U.K., France, Netherlands, Belgium and Republic of Ireland later this year. Person alerts, which comes with a Nest Aware subscription, will be available in September 2016. Spaces will be available in Nest app version 5.6 in the Google Play Store and iOS App Store later this month.
More detailed specs
Nest Cam Outdoor
- Weatherproof – The weatherproof design of Nest Cam Outdoor meets the demands of a broad range of temperatures and conditions faced by outdoor cameras.
- Easy outdoor setup – Nest Cam Outdoor has a quick, simple setup. Just plug in the cable and adapter, mount the camera, and go. A powerful magnetic base allows people to securely place it in even more locations and capture the view they want.
- Clear 24/7 live video – A 130° view through a high quality glass lens shows the full picture in crisp 1080p HD. When it’s dark, Night Vision illuminates the whole scene with 8 powerful infrared LEDs. And with the Nest app, customers can control and watch live video from anywhere, anytime.
- Secure Streaming – Stream and store video content using powerful encryption technology seamlessly (2048-bit RSA key with 128-bit SSL connection).
- Talk and Listen – See someone at the door, talk back to get their attention thanks to the built in speaker and microphone. Or tell the delivery man to go ahead and leave the package around back.
- Secure Private Camera Sharing – Customers can create and share private, password protected livestream links with multiple people, such as close family members who are watching the house for them.
- Auto-bandwidth – Nest is making automatic bandwidth adjustments to match the bandwidth available, to ensure a clean video feed and avoid buffering
- High resolution (1080p) viewing for Dropcam Pro customers – Available today, Dropcam Pro customers can get high resolution viewing when they upgrade to the new Nest app.
About the new app